It was the Class of 1937 that gave the nickname “Blackhawks” to West Aurora High School. Now surviving members of the class are invited to receive special recognition at the dedication of a new statue of Chief Black Hawk at 9 a.m., Sept. 9, at the high school, 1201 W. New York St., Aurora.
The statue, a gift to the school from the Class of 1958, is a life-sized bronzed bust of Black Hawk sculpted by artist Gareth Curtiss.
Descendants of Black Hawk have been invited to participate in the dedication. Native American dance and drum groups are scheduled to perform.
A plaque in the West High gymnasium foyer commemorates the action taken by the Class of 1937:
"Chief Blackhawk with his tribe of Sac Indians once roamed these prairies of Northern Illinois, and for him Blackhawk Street was named. He was a valiant fighter always loyal to the interests of his people. It is proper, therefore, that we, the class of 1937, bestow upon our own valiant warriors, the athletic teams of West High School, the name of the Blackhawks. May they ever maintain the highest ideals of courageous actions, loyalty, and sportsmanship."
For more information on the event, contact Mike Chapin, Dist. 129 community relations director, at 630-301-5044 or firstname.lastname@example.org.