Decisions on weather-related schedule changes are made after careful consideration. The district consults with the following internal departments and external partners in the community.
- City of Aurora (road conditions)
- West Aurora Transportation Department (busing safety)
- District 129 Operations Department (snow removal)
- National Weather Service (weather updates)
- Surrounding school districts (information sharing)
The decision process begins early in the morning around 4:00 a.m. When conditions threaten the safety of the children and District 129 staff who are walking, driving, or riding buses to school, District 129 will make a decision for one of the following schedule changes:
- Close school for the day
- Late start day
- Dismiss early for the school day
As soon as the decision is made we will share the information through multiple channels of communication.
- Voice blast
- Email blast
- Message on the District 129 website
- School closings will be shared with local Chicago news stations and radio stations
We will make every effort to make a decision by 5:00 a.m. and communicate our decision by 5:30 a.m. There may be some occasions when it will not be possible to make these time frames as the weather can change unexpectedly. There also may be times when the district will be able to make decisions the day before so that parents, staff members, and students know what will happen the following day. In any event, we will make our best effort to communicate in a timely manner.