December 2, 2020
Dear School District 129 Families, (Español)
I am writing to inform you of my decision to continue with virtual learning until January for all students in School District 129.
While our local COVID-19 metrics have improved slightly in recent days, yesterday the Illinois Department of Public Health announced another 12,542 new cases. In addition, both our state and local health departments have told us to expect another surge in cases following the Thanksgiving break. I would rather err on the side of caution for the safety and well-being of our families and staff, while also recognizing that families need time to plan for this shift. The last thing I want is to have to tell you the night before in-person instruction is scheduled to start that we are again postponed.
For these reasons, West Aurora School District 129 will continue with virtual learning through January 14th, 2021, which is the end of semester one (or quarter two). The exception to this will be identified student groups who will return the week of January 11th, 2021. This means:
- January 19th, 2021, the start of semester two (or quarter three), will also mark the return of the blended model for those families who have selected that mode of instruction.
- During semester two (or quarters three and four), the virtual learning academy will continue for those families that have selected the virtual option.
- All in-person athletic practices and extra-curricular activities will be paused until the start of the winter season as identified by the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) or until January 4, 2021.
- Beginning December 7th, a daily (Monday – Friday) symptom check will be required for all students planning to return to in-person instruction in January. This data will help us monitor COVID-19 like symptoms and positive cases to help maintain safe and healthy environments. Please follow this link for further instructions and support resources.
ELEMENTARY LEVEL SPECIFICS (beginning December 7):
- Pre-K students will continue with their current learning model.
- Grades K and 1 will use their first-quarter schedule. This means that specials (such as art, PE, and STEM) will revert to the morning.
- Lunch will now be at the same time for everyone.
- All students will have synchronous (Zoom) instruction in the morning and small group instruction in the afternoon.
- Teachers will create small groups based on needs, content, etc., and therefore the A, B, and V student groupings will no longer be used.
- Grades 2 through 5 will continue in their current model of virtual instruction since they had not transitioned back.
MIDDLE SCHOOL SPECIFICS:
- Students in grades 6 - 8 will continue with their current mode of virtual learning.
WEST AURORA HIGH SCHOOL SPECIFICS:
- Students in grades 9 - 12 will continue with their current mode of virtual learning.
- Driver education “behind-the-wheel” drives will be paused until further notice.
- Families who have selected the blended model will receive their assigned groupings before the start of winter break.
Thank you again for your unparalleled partnership and support during this challenging year. On behalf of School District 129, I wish you and your families a healthy and safe holiday season.
Jeff Craig, Ed. D.
Superintendent of Schools
West Aurora School District 129