School Closing Information (due to COVID-19)
MARCH 31, 2020
District 129 Parents and Staff Members,
I hope this message finds you and your families safe and well. In light of Governor Pritzker’s announcement to extend the “stay home” order until the end of April, we have updated the previously shared timeline for School District 129. Please understand that this is an evolving situation and that our return date is subject to change based upon potential further orders from the Governor.
- “Spring Break Week” will continue through Friday, April 3rd. There is no expectation for teachers nor students to engage in remote learning this week. However, meal distribution has continued at the same sites and at the same times.
- Remote learning will resume starting Monday, April 6th through Thursday, April 30th. Again, meal distribution will continue at the same sites and at the same times.
- Remote learning will pause during our previously-scheduled days off. Therefore, there is no expectation for teachers nor students to engage in remote learning on Friday, April 10th, nor Monday, April 13th.
- Please note that there will be no meal distribution on Friday, April 10th. Given that this is a religious holiday for some, we want to allow for observation and time with family. However, on Monday, April 13th, food distribution will resume. Please remember that we will provide multiple days of meals at a time.
- We anticipate that students will return to their home buildings on Friday, May 1st, through the end of the school year, which is May 29th. No emergency days will be needed.
- Friday, May 8th, will no longer be considered a ‘Teacher Institute Day’ as teachers had an in-service on March 16th in replacement of this day. May 8th will be used as a day of instruction instead.
Please understand that this is an evolving situation and that our return date is subject to change based upon potential further orders from the Governor.
As school closures are extended throughout the state, new recommendations for remote learning have recently come to us from the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). We are in the process of putting those recommendations into practice. You can expect that the details of our new remote learning plan will be shared this Friday, April 3rd. Please stay tuned for further details.
As a reminder, all West Aurora School District 129 buildings will remain closed through April 30th. Should you have a question that needs a response before that date, we encourage you to reach out via email or to leave a message at the monitored number, (630) 301-5000. Please go to www.sd129.org for a directory of email addresses and for the latest school closing information.
In closing, I am enormously grateful for the dedication and compassion demonstrated by the staff members of School District 129. To our community, please understand that we are committed to doing everything we can to help keep your children fed and safe. Thank you for all the ways in which you look after one another.
Dr. Jeff Craig
Superintendent of the West Aurora Schools
Comcast has announced they are providing free internet at this time and it does not require $9.95/month. On the Internet Essentials' site, they announced new customers will receive 2 months of free service.
- If you don’t have a WiFi connection at home:
- Connect via your cell phone hot spot
- Talk to your neighbors about the possibility of sharing Internet connections
- Aurora Public Libraries have a limited number of WiFi hotspots that can be checked out for a week at a time.
Comcast ha anunciado que en estos momentos están proporcionando internet gratis y NO requiere el pago mensual de $9.95. En el sitio Internet Essentials, anunciaron que los nuevos clientes recibirán 2 meses de servicio gratuito.
- Si no tienes una conexión WiFi en casa:
- Conéctese a través de su teléfono celular
- Hable con sus vecinos sobre la posibilidad de compartir conexiones al Internet.
- Las bibliotecas públicas de Aurora tienen un número limitado de “hotspots” puntos de acceso WiFi que se pueden retirar durante una semana a la vez.
TECH HELP DESK
Students and staff members can get tech assistance through calling
or by emailing email@example.com
between the hours of
8 am and 4 pm,
*To clarify, this service provides tech support only and operators will not be equipped to answer other questions nor give homework assistance.