Student Data Privacy
Protecting student data is a priority for the West Aurora School District and of the utmost importance. Student data is protected through a comprehensive set of privacy policies, Illinois school laws, network security, and staff training, all of which are outlined in the sections below.
Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA)
Effective July 1, 2021, Illinois school districts will be required by the Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA) to provide guarantees that student data is protected when used by educational technology companies, and that data is used for educationally beneficial purposes only (105 ILCS 85). The following collapsible sections provide information on the specific requirements and how SD129 is meeting these requirements.
- Designate a Data Privacy Officer
- Post Data Breaches
- Post Parental Rights Regarding the Review of Student Personal Data
- Maintain Reasonable Security Procedures and Practices
- Post Contracts for Each Operator
- Annually Post District-Approved Services, Applications, and Technology Tools